This position will be filled at either thethe Industrial Hygiene and Safety Professional 3 or 4 level, depending on the skills of the selected candidate. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if the candidate is hired at the higher level.
The Associate Laboratory Directorate for Environment, Safety, Health, Quality, and Safeguards and Security (ALDESHQSS) has a need for several operational Industrial Hygiene and Safety Professionals supporting LANL programs and projects at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) through the LANL Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Division. Reporting to the TA55 FOD ESH Manager, the Industrial Hygiene and Safety (IHS) Professionals will be responsible for developing, recommending, and implementing programs and procedures associated with the recognition, measurement, evaluation, and control of potential health and safety hazards. The IHS Professionals will provide daily industrial hygiene and safety support to programmatic and facility organizations to ensure the protection of workers, compliance with Laboratory ES&H requirements, and mission success. The IHS Professionals will use professional concepts and Laboratory objectives to resolve complex issues in creative. The IHS Professionals will collaborate with the work force in developing solutions to complex ESH problems that require in-depth analysis of work activities and data. The IHS Professionals will promote safety, security, and quality in all operations; exercises prudent fiscal and property management; promotes teamwork within the organization and across the Laboratory; promotes a positive work environment; and delivers exceptional customer service. These positions are an opportunity for motivated, innovative, and customer focused professionals to support established Teams.
IH&S Professional 3 ($94,100-$155,700)
The successful candidate will:
- Evaluate work activities and recommend safety and health protective equipment and risk mitigation or abatement controls.
- Review plans, designs and specifications for operations and facilities to identify proper hazard controls.
- Assist customers in implementation of Integrated Work Management (IWM) by gaining an understanding of operations, assisting with the development and review of IWDs and associated operating procedures to ensure hazards are appropriately identified and controlled.
- Conduct industrial hygiene and safety field measurements and evaluations as part of a comprehensive Exposure Assessment Program.
- Participate in abnormal event response as an IH&S subject matter expert (SME).
IH&S Professional 4 ($103,500-$172,800)
In addition to the duties outlined above, the IH&S Professional 4 will be required to:
- Perform safety analysis of complex data to identify trends and recommend hazard reduction requirements and actions.
- Work independently to develop, maintain and implement IH&S programs in the field.
- Provide mentoring to junior staff in support of the IH&S qualification program
- Write expert-level and complex technical reports based on the interpretation of complex data, observations and current regulations.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements
- Advanced knowledge, and demonstrated application, of DOE and regulatory requirements related to industrial hygiene and safety in a research environment.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience implementing industrial hygiene/safety-related risk assessments and corrective actions.
- Advanced knowledge and application of techniques and procedures for industrial hygiene exposure assessment (both qualitative and quantitative), to include sampling and sampling techniques/instrumentation, sample analysis, and selection/implementation of controls.
- Advanced skill in the preparation and communication of industrial hygiene/safety technical information to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to apply the hierarchy of controls to eliminate or mitigate hazards while ensuring mission success.
- Advanced experience and skill in conducting research, investigating alternative solutions, and recommending solutions to industrial hygiene and safety related problems.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively within a team environment and provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to obtain a Q clearance.
Additional Job Requirements for IH&S Professional 4
In addition to the requirements outlined above, qualification at the higher level requires:
- Expert knowledge and application of Integrated Safety Management, Integrated Work Management, and other industrial hygiene and safety procedures.
- Expert-level knowledge and ability to evaluate hazard controls and exposure data in order to make recommendations and improvements.
- Expert-level knowledge and ability to develop, review, and evaluate site-specific safety/health programs and requirements.
- Expert-level experience and skill in conducting research, investigating alternative solutions and recommending solutions to problems affecting industrial hygiene and safety.
- Expert-level ability to represent the organization and laboratory on various internal or external boards and committees.
ABIH certification preferred (i.e. CIH)
Education/Experience at lower level
A bachelor’s degree in related technical discipline and a minimum of eight years of related experience or equivalent combination of relevant education and professional-level experience. An MS degree preferred.
Education/Experience at higher level
A bachelor’s degree in related technical discipline and a minimum of twelve years of related experience or equivalent combination of relevant education and professional-level experience. An MS degree preferred.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory organizations, operations, and activities
- Experience with Laboratory ESH data collection tools and databases
- Expert level knowledge in air monitoring and contamination control
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- At least one year working in a Nuclear Facility
- Active Q clearance