Chapter Safety Professional of the Year
PURPOSE & ELIGIBILITY
The ASSP Chapter SPY award is an honor acknowledging the dedication and outstanding contributions of a member to a specific Chapter. To be eligible nominees must:
- Be a Professional Member or Member in good standing of their Chapter and the Society.
- Not have received this award within the past five (5) years.
- Be engaged in full-time employment in the profession of protecting people, property and the environment.
Nominees are not eligible if they are currently serving as a member of the Board of Directors or the Chapter Awards Committee, or have been elected an ASSP fellow.
The nominee’s most recent three (3) years of activities will be considered as a minimum. (Note: for Region SPY requires 3 years and Society SPY requires 5 years. At the time of nomination for the Chapter SPY you may consider 3-5 years to make subsequent submittal at the region and/or society level more efficient.)
- Demonstrated technical expertise in the broad field of safety and a thorough knowledge of the operational aspects of his/her safety employment.
- Demonstrated outstanding contributions to the, Chapter or Section, activities, including committee or task force chair, officer, services to members, lecturer at seminars, etc.
- Professional contributions to advance the safety profession, such as fostering professional development, public/community services, instructor at educational institutions, involvement in codes and legislation, articles written, work with allied groups, etc.
- Awards and innovations, including citations, honors, plaques; or new procedures or systems developed.
- Leadership in establishment, maintenance, and improvement of technical or Chapter programs in the organization nominee serves or elsewhere.
- Other personal achievements related to safety and health.
- Endorsements by superiors and verifications by associates, in the form of letters on appropriate stationery of the employer, Area Director, where applicable and Regional Vice President.
AWARD AND PRESENTATION
The Chapter may choose to present the SPY statue or present some other recognition.
The recipient, if ordered by the Chapter, receives an engraved Bronze statue for presentation at a Chapter meeting.
Petitions must be submitted by a Professional Member or Member in good standing of their Chapter to the current Chapter Award Committee. (Note: to be nominated for Region SPY after receipt of Chapter SPY it is suggested that nominations be received no later than February 1 to be considered that same year.) Individual members of the chapter and Sections of the chapter may submit a nomination.
The nominee’s entire submission should include the following items:
- The completed nomination form and/or letter of endorsement from the nominating member or Section.
- A letter of endorsement from the nominee’s immediate employment supervisor. These parts should be one page or less.
- A one to three-page resume of the nominee’s professional background.
- A petition that lists in the order obtained the nominees achievements. Word processing guidelines for the petition include: 8 ½ x 11 paper size with type on one side only. (Note: for subsequent nomination to Region SPY this cannot exceed 9 pages.)
- Submit the petition according to guidelines established by the Chapter Awards Committee.
Provide endorsements from the candidate’s employer (must be candidate’s immediate superior as verified by employer) and from those in the candidate’s Chapter if possible. For consultants, this factor can be a major or long-term recipient of candidate’s services.